What are some of the Design Trends for 2011? Brent Warren, with Southern LivingÂ® Magazine was in town recently to give a seminar to our custom builders and REALTORSÂ®. Brent managed the Southern LivingÂ® Custom Builder Program in 2010, which put him in a unique position to observe consumer preferences for new home designs across the country.
The following Trends for new homes were presented during a recent Southern LivingÂ® Custom Builder Seminar at Founders Pointe:
1. Unique flooring materials such as reclaimed wood, walnut, other exotic hardwood finishes are becoming more popular. Pebbles are being used on shower surfaces, offering a foot massage while showering. And, a herringbone pattern is being used for outdoor brick pavers to create greater character and warmth.
2. Wall coverings are making a comeback. Bold geometric patterns are a popular look.
3. Creative use of color with bright yellows and reds, and deep chocolate among the more popular shades.
4. Fabulous ceiling treatments including medallions with trim detail, coffered ceilings, and materials typically used for floors applied to the ceiling.
5. Greater use of natural and hand-crafted materials such as wrought-iron gates and antique doors. Many are using reclaimed wood, beams and mantels milled from trees cleared from their lots. Old photos were used in door panels from an old house in Virginia. They were displayed in our Berkshire Pointe model in Founders Pointe (Virginia).
6. Functional and Fabulous kitchens with features such as cabinets with glass doors, and a center island with fold-away table. The kitchen is where buyers make their decision! The kitchen below is from the Meadow Glen model by Norman Miller in Founders Pointe (Virginia).
7. Unique use of lighting such as pendant lighting, smaller chandeliers hung over dining rooms tables rather than a single large one.
8. Live-Work Spaces such as desk-top work surfaces in the kitchen. Work spaces at counter height rather than desk height.
9. Outdoor living spaces with fireplaces and outdoor cooking. (The Southern Living Showcase Home pictured below by Sasser Construction shows the ultimate “Twilight porch”.)
10. Maximizing space with built-ins Drop zone and cell phone charging areas, mudroom seating, cubbies, and other interesting uses for nooks inside the home. (Shelves under a staircase is an easy area to inlcude a built-in shelf)
Other Hot buttons for Kitchens in 2011:
* Center islands
* Mix finishes
* Wine racks
* Extra kitchen storage space under islands on ends of cabinets
* Staggered-height cabinets
* Walk-in pantries
* Solid surface or stone countertops
* Decorative moldings, Glass doors,
* Plate racks, Tilt-out sink tray
* Built-in spice and wine racks
* Deep drawers, Over-refrigerator cabinet
* Wastebasket base cabinet (hidden)
Brick was used on the interior wall of this Founders Pointe home to give a feeling of warmth in this Kitchen. African walnut floors, and pine cabinets. The center island was a shaker style cabinet with a darker stain and a leather finish granite top.
Branch Lawson, East West Partners (Left), Brent Warren (Center), Mark Edwards, East West, Russ Hohmann custom builder (Right)
East West Communities is community development company in Virginia and Florida. For more information about our communities, please visit www.eastwestcommunities.com .